I apologize in advance.

I hate pretentiousness, I truly do. When people act uppity, what they're really saying is that they're better than you. (Or in other words, that you're not as good as them.) Well, "phplbbtttt" on you, stuck-up folks.

Is the "neener-neener-boo-boo-ness" coming through, or is this kitteh just too cute to let it filter in? Yeah, I thought so.

And let me also say that uppitiness is a state of mind that, though largely occupying the top 1 percent, can indeed, find its way to even lowly plebeians such as myself from time to time. On occasion.

It's not my intention to be snooty, I seriously don't mean to come off like that. It's just that... well... it's just so irksome when people mispronounce words.

Ok. I said it. Now, the regional dialect thing, I can appreciate. My parents call it Missour-uh as a reflection of heritage. Tomato, tuh-mah-toe. Every part of America has its own way of saying stuff, and it's kind of interesting to me. But there are some words that I hear mispronounced so often that I just want to smack the perps over the head with some phonics. For those of you who didn't know, I am a teacher. But that has little to no bearing on this little rant. Oh no. I've been pent-up about this topic for a looooong time.

Are there 57 ways to smack around people who mispronounce words? The answer is yes.

Here are some of the words I hear most frequently mispronounced. They all enrage me.



1. "Expresso" - Look. At. The. Letters. There is no "x", "c", or "k" involved here. I could understand if you were Portuguese and you said it that way, but if you aren't, then just call it "coffee" around me, please.

1.a. Insert "expecially" and in here, too. Why is "ehss" so difficult to say? And if you think about it, it takes less energy to say the "ehss" instead of the "eck". Score one more for me.

1.b. Also related: "exetera". I need some Excedrin when I hear "exetera" instead of et cetera.
 
Supposably, these fingers resent the opposable thumb.

2. "Supposably" - As in, "He had supposably gone to his mom's to fix her leaky faucet, but Brenda saw him going into Sandra's house." What you really want to say is, "I was supposedly going to cook his favorite dinner while he was at his mom's, but in light of recent events, I think I'll go to the mall instead.



3. "Newkewler" -  Others have commented many times on "newkewler" versus nuclear. Suffice it to say, if you say it like Bush, you're doing it wrong. (Apparently, Merriam-Webster doesn't agree with me. But handy that their canned response is right here so you know what to expect if you don't like it.)

*Insert others here when I think of them.*

UPDATE: Ah! I thinks of one! 

4. "Fermiliar" - (see also, furmiliar, and firmiliar) adj. the state of comfortable relaxation one may feel around other humans, or just hairy mammals or evergreens.

So, what mispronounced words do you most often hear?

Comments

  1. ValenTIMES day. EEEEEK.
    Makes me crazy

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Probly" instead of probably. And "boLth" instead of both. whoop ass needed indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I've missed quite a bit in the world of TBAIC! Quick query: I subscribe to this blog, but I've never been notified of a new entry. Any ideas how (or if) I can fix that?

    Annnnyhoo, hard for me to resist pointing out regional faux paus considering that I live in the land of Country Grammar, but I think I'm gonna have to go with "irregardless." Makes me murdery.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are awesome. Write some.

Popular Posts