English is Weird

Some of the kids I teach have just arrived to America like, 5 minutes ago, and have trouble with idioms. This isn't really surprising, and pretty much all languages have their own funky sayings. There's a French term of endearment that's translated to something like, "my little cabbage". I might have slept like a log last night, but if I was in Germany, I would have slept like a woodchuck.

Other languages are cool, and if my school had had the program, I would've liked to have studied linguistics.

But I still remain firm in my belief that English is the red-headed stepchild of languages, particularly American English.

Case in point: even if you grew up speaking American English, it can be hard to understand regional dialects. Take my childhood next door neighbor Brad, for instance. Though I didn't really know it at the time, he came from a family of good ol' boys. My family's midwestern, so there were many times when I felt like I was a stranger in a strange land when I was talking to him.

Brad said he liked to eat "bowled" peanuts.
This is sort of what I imagined, hence the confusion.
This is what Brad meant. Southerners are not fond of diphthongs.
Brad's brother "Ron" was going to community college.

I heard "Ron," but Brad meant...

...Ryan. VERY distinct. And while I'm looking at you Ryan Phillipe, let me tell you that I'm still devastated over your breakup with Reese. You guys need to get back together, pronto.
I'm sure there were a plethora of other things Brad said that I got confused by, but after 20-plus years the memory's foggy. Anyway, my point remains that Americans speak oddly, and sometimes it's even too much for other Americans.

Here is a short list of Americanisms that, in my opinion, require further inspection:

1. "At the end of the day..."

This is just so stupid. Why do you have to preface WHEN this event will happen? And if you MUST do this, why can't we just stick with, "When all is said and done," or "In the end," or hey, how about this succinct gem: "Finally,"? At the end of MY day, I want to be on my couch, watching mindless television, eating my dinner. The end of my day is a geriatric 5, 6 o'clock (my parents always said I was advanced for my age) and has nothing to do with ultimate finality. I think I heard it for the first time on The Apprentice, like 5 or 6 years ago. It should have gone to wherever they hid Omarosa.

I sort of pity Omarosa, who clearly needs psychiatric help. I also feel sorry for her dress, since it's obviously fighting a losing battle with her boobs, as they struggle to get away from her.
2. "A whole nother..."

What exactly is a "nother?" Is it like "nether?" How much is a nother? Is a "whole nother" in some way preferable to a "half, or even a quarter nother?" We'll never know.

3. "Let's firm that up."

I hate this. Almost as much as #1. I get that they're trying to say that the plans are loosey-goosey, so in order to make things more concrete, future events need to be (ugh - shudder) firmed up. I just don't like it, not one bit. Makes me think of cellulite cream, Richard Simmons, and this:

It was acceptable in the 80s. It was acceptable at the time.
So, what kinds of things do people say that drive you nuts?

Comments

  1. Where did that even come from? A tv show? A movie? It sprang up all the sudden a few years back, but from where?

    ReplyDelete
  2. More than a few years back -- Will used to say it all the time on The Fresh Prince of Bel Air. Its recent resurgence, however, I cannot explain.

    Let's see..."conversate" always delights. This new "no homo" business is disturbing. Are you really that worried someone will think something you've said or done is suspect that you have to proclaim your heterosexuality from the rooftops? I saw some girl's fb page through which she was extolling the virtues of her own beauty, followed by "no homo." Wha???

    P.S. Did you see that Al B. Sure is on that Omarosa dating show? Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? I don't remember that from the Fresh Prince, but I guess I'm not the aficionado I thought I was.

    I always thought "conversate" was a real word:

    Word Origin & History

    conversate
    by 2000, apparently a back-formation from conversation or an elaboration of converse. According to some, from black Amer.Eng.

    Like "flustrated," I suppose.

    Omarosa has a show? That makes me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think they, among countless other almost-but-not-quite-right words, are in the same vein.

    The link you put under Omarosa's boobs played me a video about her show. I don't really know much about her, but she seems like a real gem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ValentiMes day

    And I totally agree that "conversate" makes me cringe EVERY time

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I despise ValentiMe's Day!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm rolling over here! Thanks for the laugh! I came over from "A Foreign Land" just to check you out (hope that one's okay; I'm trying to take all idioms out without even meaning to!)
    suchakingdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Olivia - Glad I could tickle your funny bone. I'm totally going to check out suchakingdom. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are awesome. Write some.

Popular Posts