Thursday, May 19, 2011

New

We're about a month into our new lives as a 3-person (and one cat) family. Everything is new and different. Everything. I have a new appreciation for the late afternoon sunlight that filters through the window because of the way it captivates my son's attention. What was once just a pair of boobs is now a full service diner serving the most perfect manna 24 hours a day. Laundry used to be a chore. Now it's a fun activity that gets me off the couch and outside for a few sweet minutes. (What? "New" and "good" do not necessarily overlap.) Baby farts are the cutest thing ever, and a good poo is the highlight of my day.

This fascinates my kid. Oh, and this is not my house, just some pic from the internets.

I also have new talents. They all involve completing tasks single-handedly. I'm not referring to any kind of newfound independence, I literally mean doing stuff with one hand. If you're holding an inconsolably crying baby, you gotta make do somehow. Adaptation is not only necessary, it's vital. Here's a fun list of stuff that I've newly discovered can be done successfully with one hand.
  1. blogging
  2. laundry
  3. potty (including both numbers 1 and 2)
  4. making a sandwich
  5. paying bills
  6. cooking (ok, that's probably an exaggeration since I'm referring to making a sandwich, but whatever)
  7. eating (This doesn't sound like it'd be difficult one-handed, but have you tried it before? Yeah, that's what I thought.) 
I have a carrier that would allow me to hold the baby hands-free, but we've only used it once with success. (Mom's got to get better at tying it together on the fly.)

All in all, that's a (VERY) brief summary of the new. Now, there's a crying baby that needs to be soothed.

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention picking stuff up with your feet. I got good at that one real quick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy and I both lived on granola bars for the first 3 months. I applaud you for making a sandwich! There are certain granola bars I cannot eat now due to major burn out. Isn't it amazing how quickly you learn to adapt? I have become exponentially more efficient since having babies... nothing like a screaming baby to motivate you to move through your task quickly! We can't wait to meet Owen!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are awesome. Write some.